Wednesday, May 13, 2020

My last day.. getting ready to say goodbye to the Big Apple


                    Final day after 6 weeks here!

So thankful for the friends I have made and the things I have learned here. I spent many of my days on the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) along side nurses caring for patients up to 40 years old despite being pediatric nurses. They stepped out of their comfort zone and provided the best care they could to adult patients in need. As out of my element as I was, they were as well as they are used to caring for sick children, not adults with no family members nearby. The staff on this unit specifically, pediatric unit, and the neonatal intensive care unit deserve a shout out for their welcoming attitudes, willingness to help me, and patience with all my questions. I felt welcomed into their family. They looked out for me and the other travelers and treated us as if we were one of their own hospital nurses rather than outsiders.









You cannot see very clearly, but I wanted to encourage and motivate the team before leaving, so I took some time to color encouraging pictures and left them in the unit. The one I am holding states "we are better together" and the other states "good vibes." They don't want the travelers to leave as they are afraid there will be a surge and they will be drowning again. I reassured them I am only a phone call away and would come help them again if they needed help!














One of the local restaurants that I mentioned previously has offered free carry out lunch to all front line employees. One friend pictured below would drive anyone who wanted to go to the restaurant for lunch breaks as it was less than 5 minutes away.













Nurses showing off their new face shields sent straight from OH-IO complements of my mamma!







We have laughed and we have cried. Been happy and been sad. We have stood together to help one another. I have met amazing people and been welcomed into their lives. I will never forget this experience. I fly home tomorrow and will be quarantining myself before seeing my family. Can't wait to be home, see my family and my puppy, and start studying for my boards! Thank you all for your love, support, and encouragement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment